Monday, February 25, 2013

fresh meat.


last sunday, i decided to step out of my box and try something new.
and something that scared me.
and something that excited me.

i went to my first roller derby, fresh meat practice!

i must have texted eric 100 times sunday afternoon about how nervous i was. and i was really doubting myself, wondering if i could even do it and if i would fit in.
and he kept his patience with me and assured me 101 times that i could do it.

i told myself over and over, you can do this. you are strong. you can do this!
the butterflies i had going in were unreal.

turns out the boot camp has already been going for 6 weeks so the 5 of us brand new girls were seperated to learn the very basics.
we learned how to skate, t-stops, plow stops, skated on one foot.
and then it was over. it went by SO fast!

 
last night was practice #2 and after a little review, we learned something new: the crossover.
 
my feet were not comprehending what my brain was telling it, and i had more than a couple of good falls! (well one was good enough for one of the refs to ask me when practice was over how i was feeling!)
when i asked coach jay to watch me, he told me to not over think it, that my form was better than i thought. so hopefully some more practice and my feet will cooperate a little better.
 
i'm so excited to try something new. to make some new friends and learn a new sport. get in shape and have some fun. but i'm not going to lie, one of the things i'm looking forward to most is picking my derby name!!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment